Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Monday's link on Tuesday

Well seeing as yesterday was a public holiday for those of us here down under - Australia Day, I had the day off to play with the kids. So it's a Tuesday link.

I'm sure it's the same for many people starting photography. You see an image that simply amazes you. An art form that you may have never considered before suddenly seems to be something so incredibly powerful that you feel inspired to try it yourself. To emulate the work of a great photographer.

And for each of us that photographer is going to be a different person. For me that first great inspiration, and a continuing gauge for how I see my own work is Steve McCurry. For some of you the name might not be familiar, but I'm sure his most famous image is.

Remember the Afghan girl on the cover of National Geographic? The one with the incredible green eyes, harrowed look on her face and her torn shawl. That's his.

And can I let you in on a little secret? I don't really like his portrait stuff as much as I love his street documentary work where he shows how people live. He mostly works in South Asia - India, Pakistan and Afghanistan - but has recently been working on a body of work photographing Buddhism around the world.

I have always been fascinated by Buddhist culture and feel a great affinity for its practitioners wherever I go so that's probably one reason I love his work so much. Another is his use of natural light and a simple colour palette. The man is a true artist and as long as he keeps on putting out big glossy books Amazon will be getting my dosh! (money for those non-Australians)

If you get just one book of his get South By South East - you will love it.

No comments: