Monday, March 30, 2009

Monday's link

I'm really excited about today's link. In fact I can't believe I haven't written about this wonderful photographer before. I first came across one of his books in the northern Indian city of Dharamsala - or more properly McLeod Ganj. This small hillside village is home to many Tibetan refugees and the seat of the Tibetan Government-In-Exile.

My wife and I were in a tiny bookstore when we came across a large hardcover book with an amazingly beautiful landscape shot of what looked like the surface of the moon taken in the early hours of pre-dawn. The title of the book was simply 'Tibet' and in it were some of the most amazing documentary travel images I have ever seen in my life.

The photographer's name is Kazuyoshi Nomachi. As you can tell he's certainly not Australian. With readers from 45 countries on this blog I figured I should give a bit more space to non-Western photographers so I'm starting with my favourite. Coincidentally he happens to be Japanese.

You can find his site here and I would thoroughly recommend you go on over and have a look. If you decide to buy one of his books I would highly recommend Pilgrimage. It contains a lot of his work from Africa, Tibet and Saudi Arabia. This is the work of an extremely talented photographer who spends a lot of time getting to know his subjects and comes away with images that most of us can only dream about.

No comments: