Monday, June 8, 2009

Monday's Link

Hi everybody,

hope you had a great weekend. Mine was full of photography books I got from Amazon. I'll tell you more about them when I've had a chance to take them all in.

Well today's link is to a brand new blog from my former teacher Rob Walls. Back when I started doing this for a living I really didn't have much of an idea of how the business of photography worked. I had read some books but they were mostly US based and seeing as I am living all the way down here in Australia they weren't always relevant.

So I came across a correspondence course run by a school out of Sydney called the Australian College of Journalism. I don't think they exist anymore, or maybe they do under a different name, I'm not sure.

Anyway my tutor was a guy named Rob Walls, a veteran newspaper and magazine photographer who was fantastic. I found the materials in the course to be quite outdated but Rob was right up with the times. He would answer email questions promptly and set up a group for students online to get together and talk things photography.

Anyway we've stayed in touch over the years and he still gives me advice - like the fact that there is life after children! haha He's shooting a lot of stock for Alamy these days and still enjoying his photography to the full.

Anyway he has a new blog where he promises to entertain us all with stories of all the famous and not-so famous people he's photographed over the years. I'm sure he's going to have lots of interesting stories to tell so it's definitely one to add to your reader.

No comments: