Sunday, August 30, 2009

Monday's Photography Links


Kirk Tuck has a great blog post on photographers' needs to constantly upgrade to the latest and greatest without any real thought for whether they need it or not. Every so often I get a call to shoot some medium format print film for a magazine that I sometimes do work for. And I remember what a joy it is to hear the whir of the film winding on to the next frame. And the mechanical clunk of the shutter. And the fact that what I'm seeing through the viewfinder is so much more important than the camera I'm using.

In the same vein, David duChemin has a new ebook for sale called 10: Ten Ways to Improve Your Craft. None of Them Involve Buying Gear. What a great title and if David's book Within the Frame is any indication this will be a fantastic resource for both budding and more advanced travel photographers.

So by the look of these link you can guess that I'm not going to post anything about gear this week. :) After last week's exploratory post I'm going to try and post some images that highlight different styles (rules? guidelines?) of composition. At least the way I tend to compose pictures anyway.

Stay tuned.

No comments: