Monday, May 23, 2011

Laura Dance and Cultural Festival



Unfortunately I'll be away for this fantastic event this year. Without a doubt one of my all-time favourite festival experiences is the wonderful Laura Dance and Cultural Festival which is held in the small Cape York town of Laura.

Only a few hours north of Cairns it really is a world apart. Aboriginal dance troupes gather from all around the state for three days of competition to find the best dancers. Held in a small ring under towering gum trees with no accommodation but plenty of camping space, stalls from various groups such as National Parks and other community groups.


It's a no alcohol event and I don't know if that is part of the reason but when I attended I found a wonderful, friendly atmosphere with no aggression whatsoever. Everybody is here for a good time and everyone is made to feel welcome to this intimate glimpse into indigenous Australian culture. Definitely a highly recommended even for anyone about between the 17th to the 19th June.

You can click here to see a couple more of my images of the Laura Dance and Cultural Festival.

No comments: