Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Wallaman Falls - Queensland's highest waterfalls




Wallaman Falls is one of those places that truly blows you away the first time you see it. And to be honest I'd lived up here in Cairns for a long time before I ever got a chance (ie off my lazy butt!) to go and photograph it.


I had an assignment down in Townsville, and a bit of time to kill on the way back up so I decided to drop in to see what all the fuss was about. At a little over 50 kilometres south-west of Ingham, itself a good three hour drive south of Cairns, this is not a day trip by any means.

Another reason you would want to overnight it if you come down this way is that it's not enough just to go and see the falls from the top carpark, which is where this view was taken. To really appreciate the size and sheer force of the water which thunders over this 305 metre drop you need to walk down to the bottom.

Easier said than done. It is a long hike and you definitely need to be fit, especially if you're carrying a big Lowepro backpack full of camera gear and a tripod! The rainforest walk down is really beautiful but I recommend you photograph that on the way back when you'll need an excuse to take a rest every 5 minutes or so! Ooh, there's another lovely fern I need to get a photo of, let's take another break. :)

Depending on what time of the year you visit there might be so much water coming over the falls that it's nearly impossible to get a photograph because of all the spray. I had to keep my camera under my jacket and pull it out when the wind blew the spray in the opposite direction, grab a quick shot, then quickly put it back again. The biggest chore was keeping drops off the front lens element. You can see how I did on my website where I've posted some photographs of Wallaman falls, including the walk down there. Enjoy!

No comments: