Thursday, July 10, 2008

Watch me pull a baby out of my hat

Now I'm not one to carry a cute baby with a pink vest around in my back pocket for photographic opportunities. And even if I did I don't think I'd have the cultural chutzpah to put it on a statue of the venerable Buddha. And then leave the kid there while she bawled her eyes out.

But if somebody else wants to do it, well who am I to deny a photographic opportunity?

This was taken at the foot of the Swayambunath stupa on the outskirts of Kathmandu, Nepal. I was just about to start the long walk up the stairs and was photographing the Buddha statues when a young Asian couple plonked their little girl on the statue.

This is one of those times when you have to be quick and predict what is going to happen. I often like to photograph other tourists photographing themselves, it adds an extra bit of interest to the otherwise typical tourist icon shot.

So I could see this couple coming up and thought it might be a nice opportunity for a photo. I couldn't believe my luck when they put their daughter on the statue. SNAP Thankyou very much. Usually the best shots are totally unplanned.

No comments: