Thursday, January 15, 2009

How many Megapixels?

My stock library Lonely Planet Images has recently changed their submission guidelines. They are no longer accepting any film images and their minimum digital requirement is now a 10 Megapixel dSLR.

Which means I'm going to need to upgrade my equipment. Up until now I have been using an 8 Megapixel camera. Why not more you ask?

I work mostly in the magazine and editorial stock world. My pictures get used in books, magazines and newspapers, with the occasional advert. The biggest I usually need to print is A3. This picture above ran as a double page spread in Backpacker Essentials magazine. It was clear, sharp and looked fantastic. What more could I ask for? More megapixels certainly means bigger pictures but it also means the need for faster computers, bigger CF cards, more external hard drives and DVDs for back-ups. And don't forget you have to upgrade to the latest version of Photoshop because older versions of their Raw Converter don't support newer cameras.

There have been so many developments in the past few years that we're now up to 15, 16, 21 and even 24 Megapixel SLRs. That's like medium format quality in a light, portable camera. Pretty amazing really. Just keep in mind one thing. As the great magazine photographer Joe McNally says "Don't confuse a detailed picture with a good picture".

No comments: